One in seven parents admit they made a ‘terrible mistake’ with the name they chose for their child, according to a study.
Researchers found despite ‘loving’ the moniker at the time, millions of mums and dads soon grew to despise it.
Amazingly, 28 per cent of people have even told their child that they regret choosing their name, and more than one in ten said their children have told them they don’t like it themselves.
But while one in five dislike it because it went on to become too popular with other mums and dads, almost one in 10 were put off thanks to a celebrity choosing it for their own child.
One respondent began to worry they had made a mistake after naming their child George, with people mistakenly believing he was named after William and Kate’s child – despite him being born months before the royal youngster.
Another one in 10 started to regret the name after someone with the same moniker went onto become famous.
SJ Strum, baby names expert from parenting website ChannelMum.com, which carried out the study, said: “Picking your baby name is one of the most important parts of becoming a parent – and its’ also something which everyone from friends and family to total strangers has an opinion on.
“Celebrity trends mean there are an ever-growing list of baby names to choose from, but this also means more opportunities to choose a name which you, or your child, then learn to loathe.”
The study of 2,000 parents found one in three of those who regret their child’s name tried to choose something which was unique, but now can’t venture to the park without bumping into hoardes of other youngsters with the same name.
It also emerged one in 20 parents call their child something different to the name on their birth certificate because they no longer like it.
And 14 per cent have even considered officially changing their child’s name.
It also emerged one in two parents would be put off a name if a celebrity chose it for their child, with half saying they wouldn’t choose Bear, the name picked by Cheryl Cole and Liam Payne for their son.
Harper, made popular by David and Victoria Beckham came second in the celebrity baby names parents would least like their children to share, along with Wayne and Coleen Rooney’s choice of Kai and Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s Shiloh.
Teddy, picked by Robbie Williams for his daughter, Mason, the name of Kourtney Kardashian’s son and Eric, chosen by Simon Cowell for his son also made the list.
It’s not just the famous children which put people off a name though with one third disliking a name if it is shared by a famous figure.
Donald came top of the list of famous names parents would be most put off by, thanks to the American president, followed by Paris, after the socialite, and Rihanna, the name of the ‘Umbrella’ singer.
Other famous names to make the top 10 include Cheryl and Coleen.
Another 24 per cent of people polled via OnePoll would be put off a name because it was made famous by a book character or gadget.
Top 10 reasons for regretting their child’s name
1. It became really popular
2. I was pressured into choosing a name by my partner/ family member
3. I’ve just gone off it
4. I no longer think it fits them
5. My friend chose the same name for their baby
6. It’s too unusual
7. It’s difficult to spell
8. Someone with the same name became famous
9. A celebrity named their child with the same name
10. It sounds like something rude or awkward when you put it with their middle name/ surname
Celebrity baby names which put parents off a name
1. Bear (Cheryl and Liam Payne)
2. Harper (David and Victoria Beckham)
3. Kai (Wayne and Coleen Rooney)
4. Shiloh (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie)
5. Harvey (Katie Price)
6. Teddy (Robbie Williams and Ayda Field)
7. Mason (Kourtney Kardashian)
8. Parker (Mario from TOWIE)
9. Nelly (Billie Fairs)
10. Penelope (Kourtney Kardashian)
11. Eric (Simon Cowell)
12. Luna (John Legend and Chrissy Teigen)
13. Willow (Pink)
14. Cooper (Danny Jones, McFly)
15. Miles (John Legend and Chrissy Teigen)
16. Louis (Prince William and Kate Middleton)
17. Arthur (Billie Fairs)
18. George (Prince William and Kate Middleton)
19. Mia (Zara and Mike Tindall)
20. Charlotte (Prince William and Kate Middleton)
Top 20 names people are put off because of a famous celebrity or item