Doing their fair share of cleaning, being affectionate and being caring are some of the top qualities displayed by today’s ‘modern man’.
The study of 2,000 adults revealed other signs of a modern man include being environmentally aware, taking pride in their appearance and standing up for a cause.
Being happy looking after children and open to trying new things are also among the markers of a modern day male.
But only 35 per cent of men would describe themselves as ‘modern’.
And more than half of adults said men should not have to conform to stereotypes, with just 11 per cent of guys wanting to live up to the tough image.
Instead, modern men would rather be seen as caring (52 per cent), ethical (25 per cent) and open (36 per cent).
The study, commissioned by Wilkinson Sword to mark the launch of its first recyclable razor, also found 51 per cent of adults believe that men today are more passionate about sustainable lifestyles than in previous generations.
Jochen Schmitz, from Wilkinson Sword, said: “It’s clear from the study that men’s traits and passions have changed greatly over the years.
“It’s good to see how confident men are in themselves and the things they care about, rather than how they conform to outdated stereotypes.
“Men today are also more invested in sustainability and are more eco-conscious than those before them which is positive for the future.
“The list also shows modern men take more pride in their appearance and their passions.”
The research also found other signs of a modern man include being able to talk openly about their feelings, enjoying things like reading and baking, and being affectionate.
Fashion has also had an influence, with understanding how to dress ‘smart-casual’, being well groomed and having an interest in style featuring in the top 50 signs.
It also emerged a love for the environment is important for men today, with three in five believing that this increased interest is down to being more educated on the subject.
Of those, 63 per cent believe this is because sustainability wasn’t spoken about in the past, while 30 per cent think it’s down to men now being more confident and open about things they care about.
More than half of the men polled stated they are passionate about recycling, while 37 per cent feel the same about climate change and 47 per cent around reducing food waste.
Saving energy (47 per cent), using products made from recycled plastic (23 per cent) and eco-friendly technology (25 per cent) are also things modern men claim to care about.
As a result, seven in 10 men recycle, 46 per cent often walk instead of driving and a quarter grow their own fruit and vegetables.
A further tenth use eco-friendly grooming products and 25 per cent consider the sustainability of items when it comes to their self-care routine.
When buying such goods, 23 per cent seek out natural ingredients, while 21 per cent look for reusable products and 19 per cent want to buy recycled materials.
Four in 10 men, polled via OnePoll, believe they are more conscious of the planet than their father was and 49 per cent like to think they do their bit.
And 30 per cent hope to help future generations understand about leading sustainable lifestyles.
Jochen added: “With these findings in mind, we wanted to design something for the modern-day man who is passionate about grooming and wants to make sustainable lifestyle choices, with X3 Eco being the perfect fit.”
TOP 50 SIGNS OF A MODERN MAN:
1. Does their fair share of cleaning
2. Talks openly about their feelings
3. Is comfortable with a woman as their boss/manager
4. Discusses mental health
5. Listens to others
6. Confidently plays with children
7. Is affectionate
8. Is happy to be a ‘stay at home dad’
9. Doesn’t always feel the need to put on a ‘brave face’
10. Stands up against prejudice
11. Is conscious about the environment
12. Keeps active
13. Wants to leave a better planet behind for future generations
14. Is happy to try new things
15. Is well groomed
16. Makes time for their friends
17. Taking pride in their appearance
18. Doesn’t judge people
19. Is vigilant about the recycling
20. Is self-assured
21. Makes sustainable choices
22. Is able to provide for their family financially
23. Doesn’t have a ‘stiff upper lip’
24. Understands how to dress ‘smart-casual’
25. Always does what they think is right
26. Could win a fight, but doesn’t get into them
27. Will go halves on a date rather than insist on paying
28. Enjoys reading
29. Stands for a cause
30. Gives advice
31. Can put up shelves
32. Faces their fears head-on
33. Has a skincare regime
34. Enjoys baking
35. Gets involved with their community
36. Happy to have a self-pamper night – face mask, bubble bath
37. Interested in style
38. Is a proud feminist
39. Is ruled by their heart, not their head
40. Is able to style his children’s hair
41. Gets their beard styled
42. Stands up to their boss
43. Keeps up to date with the latest fashions
44. Wears pink
46. Drinks cocktails
47. Goes to protests/public events
48. Does yoga
49. Has a cool car
50. Is a vegan