BRITS SET TO BURN AROUND 10 BILLION CALORIES ON THE SLOPE THIS SEASON
Skiing could contribute to the nation shedding almost 200,000 stone in weight over the winter season
As Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day arrives this week, the North’s premier visitor attraction, Chill Factore, has revealed the New Year fitness resolution the nation won’t be dumping.
In a research report of over 1,000 UK skiers and snowboarders*, Chill Factore found that nearly two thirds (57%) of people lose motivation easily in getting fit, but 80% of people don’t perceive skiing or snowboarding as exercise – just good fun.
One hour of downhill skiing at a moderate effort will burn approximately 408 calories – Chill Factore has revealed that’s more than many of the nation’s favourite activities, including an hour of sex (300 calories), aerobics (374 calories), basketball (340 calories), badminton (348 calories) and tennis doubles (340 calories)**.
As peak snow sport season is upon us, Chill Factore has calculated that the approximate 1.2 million*** British holiday makers jetting off to winter sports destinations will burn approximately 9,743,040,000 calories, which equates to nearly 200,000 stone in weight****.
Morwenna Angove, CEO of Chill Factore, explains; “It is no surprise that so many skiers and snowboarders see the sport as fun rather than exercise – what’s better than the exhilaration of speeding down the slopes on fresh white powder with clear blue skies and breath-taking views. But as the New Year fitness frenzy is flooding the nation with thousands of people slogging away on the treadmill, we are encouraging as many people as possible to consider the health benefits of taking up snow sports. After all, losing weight and getting fit doesn’t have to be boring!
“Typically 17th January is the day the nation ditches their fitness resolutions – if you are thinking of doing so, why don’t you swap it for a fitness regime that you won’t tire of and consider hitting the slopes, at home or abroad, and shedding pounds while having fun!”
To make it as easy and accessible as possible for beginners to get into snow sports, Chill Factore has launched the Guaranteed to Ski / Snowboard campaign running up until 28th February 2017. Home to the longest indoor real snow slope in the UK (180 metres), beginners at Chill Factore can learn to ski/snowboard in just one day for £150. If the participant is not deemed slope ready after their six hours of tuition, Chill Factore instructors will provide an extra hour of free tuition free. Visit Chill Factore.
Source of statistics / calculations:
*According to Chill Factore’s UK Research Report (January 2017) to a sample of 1,002 skiers and snowboarders
Chill Factore Weight Loss Infographic:
***According to the Ski Club of Great Britain Consumer Research 2015, the market size is 1.194 million – Ski Club Consumer Research 2015.
- According to the Mayo Clinic, 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat. You need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound – Mayo Clinic Healthy Lifestyle
- According to Trivago Ski Travel Trends 2015-16, UK travellers will stay for an average of five nights – Trivago Ski Travel Trends 2015-16.
- According to Chill Factore’s UK Research Report (January 2017), the average time spent skiing/snowboarding on holiday is up to 4 hours
- One person skis/snowboards for 4 hours x 5 days = 20 hours in total x 1.194million market = Approximately 23,880,000 hours skied
- 23,880,000 hours skied x 408 calories per hour = 9,743,040,000 calories burnt
- 9,743,040,000 calories % 3,500 calories = 2,783,725lb of fat % 14 pounds in a stone = 198,838 stone.
About Chill Factore
Chill Factore is THE North West’s premier snow attraction. Featuring the UK’s longest indoor real snow slope (180 metres). Chill Factore offers Ski and Snowboard Lessons for all levels, ages and abilities, and thrilling snow activities, including the Luge ice slide, Downhill Donuts and Sledge O Mania
Hosting a 12ft high climbing wall and Alpine Village complete with shops, bars, cafes and restaurants, Chill Factore is the most amazing day out in the North.
Chill Factore launched in November 2007 and has had over 10 million visitors since opening. Visit England accredited, the leisure attraction is open 364 days a year.
GUARANTEE TO SKI OFFER:
From 1st December 2016 to 28th February 2017, beginners can take lesson courses level 1 – 3 for just £150, getting them slope ready in just 6 hours. If at the end of the course the attendee is not deemed slope ready by their instructor, they will receive additional tuition free of charge.
- Day Lesson – 6 hours of tuition. A total of 8 hours with lunch and refreshment breaks
- 2 Day Course – 3 hours of tuition each day (over 2 consecutive days)
- 3 Week Course – 3 x 1 hour 50 min tuition each week
WINTER OPENING TIMES:
- Monday, Wednesday, Saturday 7:00 – Midnight
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:00 – Midnight
- Sunday 6:30 – Midnight
- Monday, Wednesday, Saturday 7:30 – 23:00
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday 9:00 – 23:00
- 9:00 – 22:00 everyday
*Please note that the last admission will be earlier than the opening times stated.