- Alison Hammond has teamed up with Churchill Insurance to give her backing to inaugural awards celebrating the vital role of Lollipop men & women throughout the UK
- Brits encouraged to celebrate their local Lollipopper by nominating them here: Lollipoppers Awards 2016
- Five award winners will be announced on Tuesday 29th November (including Lollipopper of the Year) to coincide with National Lollipopper Day
Yesterday, Alison Hammond and Churchill Insurance, the motor insurers, launched the National Lollipopper Awards 2016 to honour and celebrate Lollipop men and women throughout the UK.
Hammond, mother to eleven-year old, Aidan, officially announced nominations as open for parents and school children to nominate their Lollipopper across four award categories:
- Over and Above – the dedicated Lollipopper that goes beyond the call of duty to help children, parents, their school and the local community
- Bravest – for the Lollipopper that has shown courage and bravery on the crossing – Super Lollipopper!
- Entertainer – for the Lollipopper that always puts a smile on everyone’s face – the life and soul of the crossing
- Kindest – for the Lollipopper with the biggest heart – generous, kind, caring and always on the crossing with a smile!
Nominations will be open until Thursday 17th November at Lollipoppers Awards 2016, giving parents and children the chance to tell Churchill why their local Lollipopper should win one of the special awards.
The three Lollipoppers with the most nominations for each award category will go on to make up a shortlist of 12 before the winner of each is selected by the Award’s Panel of esteemed judges – Churchie, Alison Hammond, PTA executive director Emma Williams, Mike Bristow of road safety charity Brake and Mumsnet co-founder Carrie Longton – and announced on National Lollipopper Day (Tuesday 29th November).
There will also be a fifth title up for grabs with one of the four winners also being selected as Lollipopper of the Year and having the honour of claiming the awards’ most prestigious title.
Each of the winners will claim a bespoke Churchill Lollipopper Awards trophy as well as a £500 holiday voucher to treat themselves to a well-deserved break during the school holidays.
At the awards launch, Alison Hammond said: “Having previously done the primary school run with my son, Aidan, and then having the confidence to allow him to go on his own was completely down to his Lollipopper being on hand – it’s so important for me and parents around the UK to know their child is safe on the school crossing.
“As well as keeping them safe, they are also a constant presence in children and parent’s lives during their time at primary school – someone who witnesses your children grow up and that you interact with every day. I’ve always wanted to thank and reward my son’s Lollipopper for being so great, so I’m sure there are other parents and children that will want to celebrate theirs too!”
Mike Bristow, of charity Brake, added; “Lollipoppers play such an important role in protecting children throughout the UK, so it’s fantastic that Churchill Insurance has given parents and children the opportunity to celebrate them.”
The National Lollipopper Awards are part of Churchill Insurance’s drive to improve safety on the school crossing by deploying more of the iconic crossing wardens. The campaign follows research by Road Safety Analysis in 2016 that half (55 per cent) of accidental child pedestrian casualties occur during the school run.
Lucy Brooksbank, head of marketing at Churchill, added; “Whilst we have been looking to improve safety on the school crossing by deploying more Lollipoppers, we also wanted to celebrate those that are already on the crossing for the incredible job they do day in, day out. By launching the awards, we want to reward those Lollipoppers that make a difference to parents and children every day.”
Join in and give your local Lollipopper the recognition they deserve by nominating here: Lollipoppers Awards 2016
The Judging Panel:
- Alison Hammond
- Lucy Brooksbank – head of marketing, Churchill Insurance
- Mike Bristow – road safety charity, Brake
- Emma Williams – executive director, PTA UK
- Carrie Longton – co-founder, Mumsnet
The Award Categories:
- Over and Above– The dedicated Lollipopper that goes beyond the call of duty to help children, parents, their school and the local community
- Bravest– For the Lollipopper that has shown courage and bravery on the crossing – Super Lollipopper!
- Entertainer– For the Lollipopper that always puts a smile on everyone’s face – the life and soul of the crossing
- Kindest– For the Lollipopper with the biggest heart – generous, kind, caring and always on the crossing with a smile!
- Lollipopper of the Year
All child pedestrian casualty figures based on exclusive research between 2010 & 2014 on behalf of Churchill by Road Safety Analysis (2016).
Founded in 1989, Churchill is now one of the UK’s leading providers of general insurance, offering car, home, travel and pet insurance cover over the phone or on-line.
Churchill general insurance policies are underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, Registered office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4AZ. Registered in England and Wales No 1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Churchill and UK Insurance Limited are both part of Direct Line Insurance Group plc.
Customers can find out more about Churchill products or get a quote by calling 0300 200300 or visiting Churchill Website