Get the kids baking for Christmas
We were delighted when we were asked to feature some recipes on behalf of The Fruit Factory. Tried and tested by the staff at Entertain the Kids and given the “High 5 seal of approval” from our Chief Tester, William (Age 6).
Featured below are some of the recipies sent to us to feature but we think The Fruit Factory “gummy sweets” will be the perfect addition when decorating your Christmas cookies and cakes too.
Lets take a look at the scrummy recipes…
Strawberry, Chocolate and Heart Slices
For a delightful treat, you’ll love these crumbly chocolate slices; filled with strawberry jam, smothered with milk chocolate and topped off with our Fruit Hearts. Even better with custard for a dessert!
- 90g Butter
- 150g Plain Flour
- 40g Caster Sugar
- 150g Strawberry Jam
- 150g Soft Butter
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 130g Self Raising Flour
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 150g Milk Chocolate
- 2 Packs of The Fruit Factory Fruit Hearts
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Sieve the flour and caster sugar and stir in.
- Grease a rectangular tin (270mm x 180mm).
- Cover the base of the tin with the pastry mix and press into the corner.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C (gas mark 6) for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, cover with the strawberry jam.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the sieved flour and almonds.
- Cover the jam with the sponge mix and bake at 180°C (gas mark 6) for 17-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and then cover with melted chocolate, cut into squares and decorate with the fruit hearts.
Serving : 12 Large Slices : 24 Small Slices
Apple and Sultana Pancakes with Maple Syrup
These treats aren’t just for Pancake Day! Flip up a fast and fun breakfast of pancakes with our Apple & Sultana Lunchbox Mini Snacks, drizzled with scrummy maple syrup.
- 115g Plain Flour
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 250mls Milk
- 3 Boxes of The Fruit Factory Lunchbox Mini Snacks (Apple & Sultana)
- Vegetable Oil
- Maple Syrup
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the eggs and 50mls of the milk and start to beat together gently, gradually adding the rest of the milk. Beat until all the lumps have gone. Pour into a measuring jug.
- Stir in the apple and sultanas.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a medium frying pan (230mm in diameter) and heat.
- Add the batter to cover the base of the pan ensuring that you have some fruit in the pan too.
- Once the mix sets on one side, flip the pancake over to cook the other side. Cook until golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve.
Serving : 6 Pancakes
Lemon Starry Muffins
Who doesn’t love light and fluffy fruit filled muffins? Our lemon-packed muffins, dotted with our bite-sized Fruit Stars make a tasty treat at any time of day.
- 300g Plain Flour
- 85g Granulated Sugar
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- Zest of 3 Lemons
- 3 Packs of The Fruit Factory Fruit Stars (save some for decorating)
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 230mls Milk
- 100mls Vegetable Oil
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 20mls Lemon Juice
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder together, stir in the lemon zest and fruit stars.
- Place the eggs, milk and oil in a measuring jug and beat well.
- Mix the liquid into the flour. Mix in well.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cases and bake at 180°C (gas mark 6) for 25 minutes or until golden and well risen.
- Cool on a cooling rack and make the icing by mixing the icing sugar with the lemon juice. Decorate muffins with the icing and fruit stars.
Serving : 12 Muffins
Orange Starry Shortbread Squares
Try this scrumptious shortbread with the taste of tangy orange and our chewy Fruit Stars on top! These shortbread squares are easy to make, so you can whip up plenty for a party.
- 120g Soft Butter
- 55g Caster Sugar
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 180g Plain Flour
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 20mls Water
- 2 Packs of The Fruit Factory Fruit Stars
- Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth and then stir in the orange zest.
- Stir in the flour to make a smooth paste. Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of 7.5mm and then cut out 24 squares (approximately 40mm x 40mm).
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 180°C (gas mark 6) for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and mix the icing sugar and water together.
- Decorate the squares with the icing and place the fruit stars on top of them.
Serving : 24 Squares
Cranberry, Lime and Heart Clusters
These delicious crispy clusters are packed full of good stuff like oats, seeds and our tasty Fruit Hearts. They make a great quick and hearty breakfast, as well as a hunger filling snack.
- 200g Jumbo Oats
- 30g Puffed Rice
- 50g Dried Cranberries
- 3 Bags of The Fruit Factory Fruit Hearts
- 50g Sunflower Seeds
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Zest of 1 Lime
- 50g Runny Honey
- 120mls of Pomegranate or Red Fruit Juice
- Toast the jumbo oats in a baking tin at 180°C (gas mark 6) for 10 minutes.
- Mix the puffed rice, dried cranberries, fruit hearts and sunflower seeds together with the oats. Add the lime juice, zest, honey and fruit juice and mix in well until the mix sticks together.
- Mould into 16 ball shapes and place on a greased non-stick baking tray and bake at 180°C (gas mark 6) for 20-25 minutes until crispy and golden.
Serving : 16 Clusters
Mixed Fruit Teacakes
Our yummy fruit teacakes are best served warm with lots of butter and jam. The dough needs time to rise, so these teacakes with our Lunchbox Mini Snacks are perfect to make on a rainy afternoon.
- 450g Strong Plain Bread Flour
- 40g Caster Sugar
- 7g Easy Blend Dried Yeast (1 sachet)
- 50g Soft Butter
- 250mls Warm Milk
- 1 Medium Egg (beaten)
- 5 Boxes of The Fruit Factory Lunchbox Mini Snacks
- Honey (for brushing once baked)
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, mix in the sugar and dried yeast. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and beaten egg to the flour to form a soft dough.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Knead for a further couple of minutes and then incorporate the fruit into the dough kneading in well.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal rounds and place on a large greased baking tray, cover with a piece of greased cling film and leave for a further 1 hour in a warm place until springy to the touch.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C (gas mark 6) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on a cooling rack and brush with melted honey.
Serving : 12 Teacakes